Interrogate, explore and create new ways of understanding the world
Umbela is an organization that aims to foster the transformation of the world towards sustainability, through innovative processes that generate spaces of collaboration to articulate the diversity of knowledge, cultures, approaches and wisdom that contribute to develop and increase conditions of well-being, justice, and equity in society and in the environment.
Leverage sustainability science to foster transformation processes towards just, inclusive and equitable trajectories in society and the environment.
Promote transformations towards sustainability in socio-environmental systems through strengthening capacities, articulating the diversity of knowledges, facilitating participatory spaces and processes of collaboration, and implementing innovative solutions.
Our primary objective is to question, explore, and create new ways of understanding the world to seek solutions to the socio-environmental problems that currently jeopardize the sustainability of the Earth. We know that there is a collective will that believes that change is possible, and that is why we want to contribute to generating that change by seeking new meanings and understandings, deconstructing and rebuilding through our projects that seek to meet the following particular objectives:
- Strengthen capacities of different actors in society through tools of adaptive collaboration, inclusion, and plurality.
- Give voice to marginalized groups and voices in situations of socio-environmental conflict.
- Seek innovative and collaborative solutions to contribute to social well-being and global environmental integrity.
- Promote transdisciplinary processes that transcend disciplines, institutions, and hierarchies to co-construct visions and decisions that catalyze paths of transformation towards sustainability.
- Build alliances, and spaces of dialogue and collaboration through iterative participation
Umbela's work is inspired and guided by four core values:
(Click on each value to see its description)